Urban farming on an acre in beautiful, tough Spring Valley, San Diego County, Californ-i-a. I am Erynn Pierce, a woman, a mother, and a farmer. This is the story of the land as it rises to meet me.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Sleepytime in farmtown

Just wanted to throw a post up to see how she's a'going before it's entirely too late. Long day in the back,  planting, staking, shaping new lettuce beds, and the ever beloved weeding. My back is stiff, my arms ache from slinging a 3 lb. sledgehammer, but I am a happy girl. I walked very very early this morning before the work began, and saw the misty air clinging to the corn, heard the familiar murmurs of the hens, and saw perfect droplets of dew on each of my seventy-odd tomato plants. Finished the day early by digging up garlic cloves here and there, pulling out spent gladiolus, and harvesting red, white and blue (actually purple) potatoes I will make into a 4th of July salad tomorrow. Yep, a pretty productive but relatively easy day on the urban plot. G'nite!

No comments:

Post a Comment